Paper Title:
Preparation and Characterization of Cationic Emulsion of Styrene and Acrylate
  Abstract

The control of particle size and its distribution has become more and more important both in theory and in practice of emulsion polymerization field. In this study, cationic styrene-acrylate copolymer containing functional monomer was converted into water-soluble polymers by reaction with quaternising agents and acids with the free-soap emulsion polymerization method. The latex was obtained at the existence of nitrogen by the copolymerization of hydrophobic monomer styrene and 2-ethylhexyl acrylate, hydrophilic monomer dimethylaminoethyl methacrylate, modified PVA-0588 as the emulsifiers. The influences of the amount of azoisobutyronitrile initiator, the amount of dimethyl sulphate quaternising agent, reactivity ratio between monomers, charge density and pH value on the preparation process were discussed. The particle size and particle distribution was strongly affected by these factors. The results showed that the latex with narrow particle distribution and mean particle size about 100nm was obtained under redox system by adjusting 33% monomer to become precursor and dropping the rest of 67% monomer, after polymerization, N,N-dimethylamino groups were fully quaternised with dimethyl sulphate to improve the stability of the solutions. The glass temperature of polymer was 58.1°C, as pH values range of solution was 3~5, the stability and charge density of polymer emulsion could improve.

  Info
Periodical
Edited by
Qi Luo
Pages
1886-1891
DOI
10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.55-57.1886
Citation
X. M. Zhu, G. H. Cheng, H. Z. Liu, "Preparation and Characterization of Cationic Emulsion of Styrene and Acrylate", Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vols. 55-57, pp. 1886-1891, 2011
Online since
May 2011
Export
Price
$32.00
Share

In order to see related information, you need to Login.

In order to see related information, you need to Login.

Authors: Yong Sheng Ma, Lin Tong Wang, Xian Hui Sun, Yun Fa Chen, Zhi Fu Dou, Guan Qun Lu
Chapter 13: Polymeric Materials
Abstract:Emulsion copolymerization of methyl acrylate, styrene, acrylamide, acrylonitrile and homemade cationic monomer was studied. A series of clean...
2328
Authors: Wen Lu Guo, Zhi Ming Jin, Cai Hua Gao
Chapter 6: Petrochemical Engineering and Chemical Engineering
Abstract:The epoxy acrylate emulsion was made by hybrid emulsion polymerization. This method has simple technology, none solvent and friend to the...
1715
Authors: Liang Fei
Chapter 9: New Functional Materials
Abstract:Acrylate modified waterborne polyurethane (PUA) emulsion was prepared by means of core-shell polymerization processes. The structures and...
1386