Paper Title:
Settlement and Deformation Laws of High Loess-Filled Embankment Based on Centrifugal Model Test
  Abstract

In view of the settlement problem of high loess-filled embankments themselves, with the reference of the 30m high embankment at K5 +536 of Lan Lin provincial expressway and by means of the centrifugal model test, the developing process of the settlement for embankment itself with time in different sections of embankment and the distribution laws of the settlement subjected from spatial effect in case of the different terrain conditions are studied. Compared with the actual measurement, the results show that: as far as the settlement of high-filled embankment itself is concerned, the settlement at the central part along the cross-section of embankment is larger than that at shoulder; When the stability of embankment is relatively poor because of the bigger slope ratio or faster speed of construction, the settlement at the shoulder caused by the lateral extrusion from the edge of embankment is larger; The settlement of embankment itself is approximately 0.5% -1% of the height of embankment, about 75% -85% of which occurred during the construction period and the remaining 15% -25% belongs to after construction. Furthermore, the 85% of the settlement belong to after construction will be completed within a year and about two years later the settlement tend to be stable; Owing to the affection of the spatial effect due to the valley terrain conditions, the settlement near the joint sites between the embankment and the gully is larger than that occurred in gentle slope and the central part of embankment. During the time of designing and construction for high-filled embankment, the location where the settlement influenced by the lateral extrusion and spatial effect should be paid attention to, so that, the security and stability of the embankment could be ensured.

  Info
Periodical
Edited by
Xuejun Zhou
Pages
222-229
DOI
10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.90-93.222
Citation
W. B. Zhang, L. Tang, "Settlement and Deformation Laws of High Loess-Filled Embankment Based on Centrifugal Model Test", Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vols. 90-93, pp. 222-229, 2011
Online since
September 2011
Export
Price
$32.00
Share

In order to see related information, you need to Login.

In order to see related information, you need to Login.

Authors: Ying Hu, Yu Wen Ju, Wen Zheng Wang, Xue Mei Zheng
Chapter 2: Geotechnical Engineering and Geological Engineering
Abstract:Engineers and researchers pay close attention to high-filled embankment project with loess as its main filler. In order to study its...
613