Paper Title:
Elevated Temperature Fabrication of Titanium Aerospace Components
  Abstract

In the past, engine aft fairing heat shields have typically been titanium castings. With a current single aisle airplane, these components were converted to sheet metal titanium 6Al-4V details fabricated by hot forming or Superplastic Forming (SPF). This conversion saved approximately 20% in both cost and weight per airplane. When heat shields for a twin aisle airplane were being developed, the engineers were interested in a sheet metal version of their heat shields hoping to achieve similar savings. However, the twin aisle configuration was different from the single aisle and did not allow the details to be simple pieces of formed sheet metal. Instead, these twin aisle heat shields are assemblies of details containing SPF components as well as Superplastically Formed and Diffusion Bonded (SPF/DB) panels. Some of the heat shield components are fabricated using the world's first applications of fine grain 6Al-4V titanium, which was developed to SPF at 775°C, covered by a U.S. patent [1], instead of 900°C, which is used for standard grain material. The SPF/DB technology being used contains innovative process developments that are covered by several patent applications [2-4]. The twin aisle heat shield assemblies were estimated to save approximately 15% in both cost and weight per airplane. Actual weight measurements of the first assembly showed an additional 5% savings over the calculated weight per engine resulting in a total weight savings of approximately 20% per airplane compared to titanium castings.

  Info
Periodical
Edited by
Daniel G. Sanders
Pages
49-55
DOI
10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.433.49
Citation
L. D. Hefti, "Elevated Temperature Fabrication of Titanium Aerospace Components", Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 433, pp. 49-55, 2010
Online since
March 2010
Authors
Export
Price
$32.00
Share

In order to see related information, you need to Login.

In order to see related information, you need to Login.

Authors: Mei Ling Fung, Kai Ming Yu, Man Wah Yuen
Abstract:Nowadays’ optical frames are the result of a collaboration between designers and engineers; it is a combination of high technology and art....
512
Authors: Zhen Bing Cai, Min Hao Zhu, Xiu Zhou Lin, Ji Liang Mo, Zhong Rong Zhou
Abstract:Nickel base Ni60 and cobalt base Co-Cr-W coatings were prepared on substrate of refractory alloy steel 4Cr14NiW2Mo by laser-cladding...
878
Authors: Yin Fang Jiang, Lei Fang, Zhi Fei Li, Zhen Zhou Tang
Abstract:As a new lightweight material and new technique,Tailor Rolled Blanks has a good prospect in energy-saving environmental protection and the...
488
Authors: Zhi Lan Chen, Ren Wei Yang
Chapter 2: Simulation and Engineering Optimization
Abstract:The filling process, solidification process, gasification process and node temperature change of special-shaped stainless steel stirrer via...
479
Authors: Jong Hoon Yoon, Ho Sung Lee, Yeng Moo Yi, Joon Tae Yoo
IV. Design, Testing and Modelling
Abstract:In the current study, the finite element simulation for superplastic blow forming of a toroidal Ti-6Al-4V fuel tank is discussed. 3 types of...
240