Hagios Gregorios Theologos Church in Cappadocia
Hagios Gregorios Theologos church is the one of the most important monument of Gelveri, a small town in the region of Cappadocia which is one of the first settlement areas in Anatolia, in central Turkey. The church is dedicated to Gregory the Theologian who is the Cappadocian father of the church in the fourth century. The building consists of three distinct phases of construction: the apse, the naos with a narthex west of it, and the parekklesion, north of the naos. Hagios Gregorios Theologos church was suffered important interventions after the date he’s erected in 385. The building was used till the migration in 1924 and then was converted to a mosque. Situated in a region known with his rock-cut architecture, the building differs with his construction of masonry and maintain tradition of built architecture. It distinguished by the qualified use of the harder volcanic stone. In this paper, the planning and the structure analysis of Hagios Gregorios Theologos church is aimed to be presented.
Xianglin Gu and Xiaobin Song
B. Çelebioğlu and S. Limoncu, "Hagios Gregorios Theologos Church in Cappadocia", Advanced Materials Research, Vols. 133-134, pp. 169-174, 2010