Blasting near Old Foundations and Strengthening of Foundation Walls for the Headquarters of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
Designed by architect C. L. Engel (1778 – 1840), the Naval Barracks facility was originally built in the 1820´s for the Russian Navy and also served as a shipyard. The building of national heritage is a prime example of neo-classical architecture in Helsinki. Strengthening and underpinning work for this structure was realised from 1985 to 1988. It was a part of the larger renovation project, where the building was made suitable for the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. The purpose of underpinning was to realise a new basement in its eastern part as well as to lower the basement floor level in other sectors. The ground engineering duties covered geotechnical and structural designs of temporary and permanent structures from the basement up to the ground floor.
Xianglin Gu and Xiaobin Song
K. Avellan "Blasting near Old Foundations and Strengthening of Foundation Walls for the Headquarters of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland", Advanced Materials Research, Vols. 133-134, pp. 897-902, 2010